Basic Makeup Starter Kit for Day and Night
If you are new to makeup and have no idea what cosmetics are reliable and worth buying, I have shortlisted a list of Makeup items and that you can purchase as a Starter Kit. I have also summarized their functions.
1. Foundation : Revlon ColorStay $30.90
- A good foundation evens out the uneven skin tone, matches your skin tone with your body, not only your neck.
- A good foundation will also reduce the need for a concealer when applied properly.
Great for combination to oily skin. It does not fade or oxidize after a whole day out. This foundati0n gives medium coverage. If you want a light coverage, just apply about 3/4 of what you normally will. If not you can always mix it with your moisturizer to dilute it a little.
2. Eyebrow : KATE Designing Eyebrow $20.90
- Eyebrows are more important that a mascara. The correct shape and thickness will properly frame your face and bring out your features.
This trio eyebrow palette is really a gem. You can sculpt your eyebrows by simply shading in the colors, darkest on the ends, medium shade in the middle and the fairest near the front. It comes with a small brush too that allows you to blend in the colors.
3. Blusher : The Body Shop Blusher $22.90
- Blusher should NEVER be used alone. It makes the makeup look incomplete and on the contrary, it does not give you the glow you need.
- 2 pink patches does not give the illusion of healthy skin. A flawlessly applied foundation gives the illusion of healthy skin.
I really like The Body Shop Blusher for the price and the quality. It is 1 of the few blushers that I actually finish down to the pan and constantly rebuy for personal use.
4. Mascara : Maybeline Hyper Curl Volume Express Waterproof $18.90
- Really black mascara helps to bring definition to your eyes and give your face that pop.
- It gives the illusion of brighter bigger eyes.
I only recommend waterproof mascara because smudges and dark circles are simply a nightmare.
5. Lip Gloss : Revlon Color Burst in Peony Pivoine $19.90, for Day
- Lip glosses are great when you do not have time to do your eyeshadows.
- Because of the way they shimmer under light, it gives your face a highlight and define your lips.
6. Lipstick : L’Oreal Color Riche Lipstick in $20.90, for Night
- Lipsticks are great for intensity, especially at night when the lights are dimmer.
- Darker lip shades help to being attention away from the eyes which is a good thing because for most beginners, eyeshadow application can be a challenge.
You can use any lip color in this range of lipstick as long as it is not nude. I will recommend a Plump or a Red.
7. Eyelash Curler : Daiso Eyelash Curler $2
- Eyelash Curler helps to curl your lashes and open up your eyes.
For $2 and something that works, I have no complaints!
8. Makeup Sponges : Any Drugstore. I bought mine at $3.90 for a bag of 20 sponges.
- Break the sponge into 2 before you start using them
- 1 can be use to apply foundation and the other can be use to apply blusher. Yes, you can use a sponge to apply blusher. Just pat the product onto your cheeks bit by bit
- Use the sponge damp for the foundation
- Use the sponge dry for the blush
Sponges are great for beginners. They are hygienic and very affordable in the short run.
*Prices mentioned are all before any discount or store promotions and they are individual items. I decided not to recommend items that come in a set because sets are usually seasonal and are discontinued in a short period of time. Also, this price range does not include Makeup Brushes.
Please Share this post so more Makeup Newbies can benefit!!!